Apache Wayang (Big Data)
Do you like open-source systems? Would you like to experience working with an open-source system? Do you want to learn about big data research in practice? Then, this project is for you!
We have a number of thesis/project topics under the umbrella of Apache Wayang. Wayang is the first cross-platform framework that allows users to specify their task/query in a system-agnostic manner and Wayang will determine which is the best system(s) to execute this task/query with the goal of optimizing performance (or even monetary costs). For a general overview check this paper.
- Visual data analytics
- Data debugging
- Big data processing
- database building
- … just drop me an email ;)
Potential Intended Learning Outcomes depending on the concrete topic:
- Ability to contribute to large open source codebases
- Ability to use new technology
- Ability to use data management techniques to improve systems performance
- Ability to leverage machine learning techniques to improve systems performance
Prerequisites: good programming skills in Java; (preferably) knowledge in big data systems (e.g., Apache Flink, Apache Spark).